NICE Work Role Name:
Research & Development Specialist
NICE Work Role ID:
NICE Work Role Description:
Conducts software and systems engineering and software systems research to develop new capabilities, ensuring cybersecurity is fully integrated. Conducts comprehensive technology research to evaluate potential vulnerabilities in cyberspace systems.
- K0001 – Knowledge of computer networking concepts and protocols, and network security methodologies.
- K0002 – Knowledge of risk management processes (e.g., methods for assessing and mitigating risk).
- K0003 – Knowledge of laws, regulations, policies, and ethics as they relate to cybersecurity and privacy.
- K0004 – Knowledge of cybersecurity and privacy principles.
- K0005 – Knowledge of cyber threats and vulnerabilities.
- K0006 – Knowledge of specific operational impacts of cybersecurity lapses.
- K0009 – Knowledge of application vulnerabilities.
- K0019 – Knowledge of cryptography and cryptographic key management concepts.
- K0059 – Knowledge of new and emerging information technology (IT) and cybersecurity technologies.
- K0090 – Knowledge of system life cycle management principles, including software security and usability.
- K0126 – Knowledge of Supply Chain Risk Management Practices (NIST SP 800-161).
- K0169 – Knowledge of information technology (IT) supply chain security and supply chain risk management policies, requirements, and procedures.
- K0170 – Knowledge of critical infrastructure systems with information communication technology that were designed without system security considerations.
- K0171 – Knowledge of hardware reverse engineering techniques.
- K0172 – Knowledge of middleware (e.g., enterprise service bus and message queuing).
- K0174 – Knowledge of networking protocols.
- K0175 – Knowledge of software reverse engineering techniques.
- K0176 – Knowledge of Extensible Markup Language (XML) schemas.
- K0179 – Knowledge of network security architecture concepts including topology, protocols, components, and principles (e.g., application of defense-in-depth).
- K0202 – Knowledge of the application firewall concepts and functions (e.g., Single point of authentication/audit/policy enforcement, message scanning for malicious content, data anonymization for PCI and PII compliance, data loss protection scanning, accelerated cryptographic operations, SSL security, REST/JSON processing).
- K0209 – Knowledge of covert communication techniques.
- K0267 – Knowledge of laws, policies, procedures, or governance relevant to cybersecurity for critical infrastructures.
- K0268 – Knowledge of forensic footprint identification.
- K0269 – Knowledge of mobile communications architecture.
- K0271 – Knowledge of operating system structures and internals (e.g., process management, directory structure, installed applications).
- K0272 – Knowledge of network analysis tools used to identify software communications vulnerabilities.
- K0288 – Knowledge of industry standard security models.
- K0296 – Knowledge of capabilities, applications, and potential vulnerabilities of network equipment including hubs, routers, switches, bridges, servers, transmission media, and related hardware.
- K0310 – Knowledge of hacking methodologies.
- K0314 – Knowledge of industry technologies’ potential cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
- K0321 – Knowledge of engineering concepts as applied to computer architecture and associated computer hardware/software.
- K0342 – Knowledge of penetration testing principles, tools, and techniques.
- K0499 – Knowledge of operations security.
- S0005 – Skill in applying and incorporating information technologies into proposed solutions.
- S0017 – Skill in creating and utilizing mathematical or statistical models.
- S0072 – Skill in using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- S0140 – Skill in applying the systems engineering process.
- S0148 – Skill in designing the integration of technology processes and solutions, including legacy systems and modern programming languages.
- S0172 – Skill in applying secure coding techniques.
- A0001 – Ability to identify systemic security issues based on the analysis of vulnerability and configuration data.
- A0018 – Ability to prepare and present briefings.
- A0019 – Ability to produce technical documentation.
- A0170 – Ability to identify critical infrastructure systems with information communication technology that were designed without system security considerations.
- T0064 – Review and validate data mining and data warehousing programs, processes, and requirements.
- T0249 – Research current technology to understand capabilities of required system or network.
- T0250 – Identify cyber capabilities strategies for custom hardware and software development based on mission requirements.
- T0283 – Collaborate with stakeholders to identify and/or develop appropriate solutions technology.
- T0284 – Design and develop new tools/technologies as related to cybersecurity.
- T0327 – Evaluate network infrastructure vulnerabilities to enhance capabilities being developed.
- T0329 – Follow software and systems engineering life cycle standards and processes.
- T0409 – Troubleshoot prototype design and process issues throughout the product design, development, and pre-launch phases.
- T0410 – Identify functional- and security-related features to find opportunities for new capability development to exploit or mitigate vulnerabilities.
- T0411 – Identify and/or develop reverse engineering tools to enhance capabilities and detect vulnerabilities.
- T0413 – Develop data management capabilities (e.g., cloud-based, centralized cryptographic key management) to include support to the mobile workforce.
- T0547 – Research and evaluate available technologies and standards to meet customer requirements.